Mental Support ... Tsunami
Since August 01, 2002.
303 Active Users
Project of an organization of Mental Health Center (MHC)
for Thai Tsunami Disaster
On 26 December 2004, there was a large earthquake occurred at the center point of Sumatra Island, Indonesia. Earthquakes beneath the ocean floor or major landslides generated very large ocean waves, known as Tsunami. This incident appeared to be the first time occurred in Thailand, which had a large impact on land areas, specifically, Phuket, Phang-nga, Krabi, Satun, Ranong, and Trang. Moreover, Tsunami also resulted in a very high number of death and loss. Many people were found dead, some were still undiscoverable, and many accommodations were destroyed by this disaster. It could be recorded as the greatest loss within the century.
The Department of Mental Health (DMH), which is responsible for Mental Health Technical Organization and for populations psychological well-being, both normal and crisis situation. We all agreed to establish an organization of Mental Health Center (MHC) for Thai Tsunami Disaster in order to deliver intervention and rehabilitation to Tsunami survivors in order to revive their psychological well-being after experiencing a traumatic even.
1. To establish an organization that delivers psychosocial services to the whole community.
2. To provide psychological services, such as intervention and rehabilitation, to every one who experienced this crisis zone within 6 Tsunami-affected provinces in Southern Thailand.
Tsunami-affected areas include 6 provinces, namely, Phuket, Phang-nga, Krabi, Ranong, Trang, and Satun.
Timeline: December 2004 January 2005
1. Establish the MHC for Thai Tsunami Disaster
2. Set up mental health personnel mobile team and committee to deliver psychological intervention to Tsunami survivors
3. Set up rehabilitation programs, develop public education material and training curriculum to transfer knowledge to personnel and volunteer in an attempt to provide mental health service to affected population
4. Transfer psychiatric mobile team to assist traumatic individuals
5. Monitoring and visiting by high rank administrators of the DMH
Amount of public allowance obtained from the Ministry of Public Health (MPH) for year 2005 is 5,396,000 Baht.
The Department of Mental Health of the Ministry of Public Health.